Formation and Development of Saigon Technology University (STU):
Saigon Technology University started as Ho Chi Minh City Engineering College (SEC). SEC was set up pursuant to the Decree No 198/QD-Ttg on 24th , September, 1997 of the Prime Minister. SEC was the first national college specializing in training disciplines of engineering and technology fields. In April 2004, basing on the training capacity and achievements, the Government issued the Decision No 57/2004/QD-Ttg to upgrade our College to a University, called Ho Chi Minh City Engineering University (SEU).
In March, 2005, the University was renamed called SaigonTechnologyUniversity – (STU) according to the Decision No 52/2005/QD-Ttg.
Due to the high assessment of STU lecturers and infrastructure, the Ministry of Education and Training allowed the University to start the in- service training system, besides the regular one (based onn the Decision No 3410/QD-BGD&DT) and to begin a University-level completion program (according to the Decision No 7373/QD-BGD&DT, now called successive system into university).
Bachelor’s degrees and Diplomas in Engineering at STU are included in the national degree system and valid nationwide.
At present, STU has the function of training from technical junior level to tertiary one, and implementing applied research in: Mechatronics, Telecommunications, Informatics Technology, Industrial Electricity, Automatic Control, Food Technology, Civil Engineering and Business Administration.
The first college students started their formal studies on 29 December 1997. The school opening ceremony was 2 months later. The number of the first course students was 800 and the second was 900. Because of local socio-economic development and increased capacity of the school since the beginning of the third course (1999-2000), about 1300-1400 new students are annually recruited into the University. From the academic year of 2004 – 2005, of the 1400 new students, 50% study at the University level and 50% of the College level.
The first college students started their formal study onn 29th, December, 1997. The number of the first course students was 800 and the second was 900. Due to the local socio-economic development and increased capacity of STU, about 1300-1400 new students was annually enrolled into the University from the third course (1999) to the seventh one (2003). Since the academic year 2004 – 2005, the student’s number has been increasing gradually and there are over 3000 students in the school year 2008- 2009. This raises the total of the student at STU to about 9,3000.
In early 2006, the University-level completion program started the first course. With good memories of the original university, confidence in the qualifications and dedication of the STU lecturers, over 1000 college engineers, graduating at the junior College level from STU, and 350 degree holders from other colleges eagerly attended the first University-level completion course. After the 3rd semester of “completion”, they will become a University bachelor degree.
STU has become a comprehensive and flexible training University with its training systems: professional secondary system, traditional University and College system, non-traditional system and University-level completion program.